Monday, January 17, 2011

Stila at J. Crew?

The other day, while browsing at my favorite local J. Crew store, I suddenly felt lost at their accessories table.  Essie nail polish littered one shelf, Stila lipgloss perched on the other, and Cosabella underwear lay next to the lipgloss.  Since when did J. Crew turn into a store that offered so many other brands?

When Madewell made an appearance on the J. Crew online store, the pair seemed like an interesting and logical combination, but I didn't think much of it.  Now that various other brands have appeared in their physical store locations, it seems real - and very obvious.  Is there a reason why J. Crew is promoting these other brands?  Does Essie polish seem more attractive when put in the context of a J. Crew fashion line? 

Personally, I am not more likely to purchase these "guest" products just because they appear in a J. Crew store.  I will always think it is slightly ridiculous to spend $40 on a package of underwear branded with the name "Cosabella".  The more frequently that "guest" products appear in my favorite store, the more disappointed I will be with the fact that they are taking space away from original J. Crew products.

No comments:

Post a Comment